VENTURA /California Newswire/ — Continuing his commitment to California’s veterans, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today joined California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA) Secretary Roger Brautigan and commanding officer of the Naval Base Ventura County Captain James McHugh to celebrate the grand opening of California Veterans Home, Ventura (CVH-Ventura), the newest state veterans home which will provide housing and long-term care for many of California’s veterans.
“Our veterans are the reason we live in freedom and liberty and I am proud to stand at this grand opening and see the direct results of our state’s investment in veterans homes. Today we are delivering on the promises that we have made to our veterans by making these essential services available to them and their families,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “Their commitment to our country never waivers and I am honored to unveil California’s commitment to those who served.”
CVH-Ventura will provide 60 long-term care beds for aged and disabled veterans who served honorably in the military. Following a period of review and licensing, veterans will be able to move into the new home in early January 2010.
“Today’s grand opening demonstrates California’s tremendous commitment to our veterans and countless years of hard work put forth by volunteers in the local communities as well as CalVet staff,” said CDVA Secretary Roger Brautigan. “I am proud to join the Governor and thank the local veterans, legislators and community members who fought to build this home in Ventura.”
CVH-Ventura is one of three state veterans homes that make up the Greater Los Angeles Veterans Homes of California project, the largest investment in state history for new veterans homes. The three homes combined, total more than $321 million and will provide housing and long-term care for more than 500 veterans. The Federal Veterans Administration funded approximately 56 percent or $179.8 million and state funded the remaining 44 percent or $141.3 million.
CDVA’s commitment to California’s veterans continues with the opening of this second facility, which opens its doors as part the Veterans Homes of California-Greater Los Angeles and Ventura counties or VCH-GLAVC. These facilities include the William J. “Pete” Knight Veterans Home of California in Lancaster, which opened last month and the Veterans Home of California in West Los Angeles which is slated to open in the spring of 2010. The CVH-Ventura is located at 10900 Telephone Road, Ventura, California, 93004.
The California Department of Veterans Affairs operates three other state veterans homes located in Yountville, Chula Vista, and Barstow. The Department also is in the planning phase for two additional veterans homes in Fresno and Redding. Both projects are expected to break ground in the spring. Once these projects are completed, the state will have nearly doubled its capacity for providing long-term care for elderly and disabled veterans.